Kerberos IV Support Broken?

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Kerberos IV Support Broken?
Date: 2003-04-04 18:20:17
Lists: pgsql-ports
I'm trying to compile 7.3.2 on Solaris 7 with the built-in Kerberos
IV support.  To avoid conflicts I do not have ssl support turned on.

Configure goes and looks for libkrb with some routine that is there.
Then it checks for libdes with des_encrypt.  Now first of all there
is no libdes on Sol7.  There's only the one that was put in when I
added ssl.  Second there is no des_encrypt in openssl.  Third there
is no des_encrypt in the Heimdal/KTH-KRB implementation either.

So is that routine actually one that's used?  If so where did it come
from, and whose implementation of what actually provided it?

Or has everyone just abandoned K4 and we should forget about it?

(Yes, I know all about the latest problems found with K4.  As long as
you are using patched/old MIT code and not doing cross-realm
authentication you're probably better off than with a lot of versions
of K5.)
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu