Two points about docs

From: "Vladimir Chukharev" <chu(at)kemia(dot)me(dot)tut(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Two points about docs
Date: 2005-04-01 06:17:12
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

I think that docs can be improved a bit in two places.

1. Description of SELECT ( http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-select.html )
says 'SELECT retrieves rows from one or more tables.' This is not perfectly
correct, because 0 tables can be used like in 'SELECT 1;'. When I tried to find
how I can check the meaning of some simple function, at first attempt I really
thought that SELECT cannot be used without tables.

Chapter 7.1 also says that the simpleast query is 'SELECT * FROM table1;',
but at least the example 'SELECT 3 * 4;' is close enough to catch an eye.

2. 'Chapter 9. Functions and Operators' has no reference to server side
functions for large object manipulation (lo_creat et al.) Yesterday wanted
to check the names of those functions (I remembered there are some in psql).
So, first I found that blob is a keyword, but is not implemented. Then I tried
to find them in Chapter 9. I just couldn't beleave it's not there. Then I tried
to find a list of all functions, similar to list of all keywords. And only
after all that I found the location of the lo_* functions.

Well, may it is just me, of course. I don't know...

--
V.Chukharev