Re: Caching by Postgres

From: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: "William Yu" <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Caching by Postgres
Date: 2005-08-23 23:29:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Josh Berkus has already mentioned this as conventional wisdom as written
> by Oracle. This may also be legacy wisdom. Oracle/Sybase/etc has been
> around for a long time; it was probably a clear performance win way back
> when. Nowadays with how far open-source OS's have advanced, I'd take it
> with a grain of salt and do my own performance analysis. I suspect the
> big vendors wouldn't change their stance even if they knew it was no
> longer true due to the support hassles.

Reinvent a filesystem... that would be suicidal.

Now, Hans Reiser has expressed interest on the ReiserFS list in tweaking
his Reiser4 especially for Postgres. In his own words, he wants a "Killer
app for reiser4". Reiser4 will offser transactional semantics via a
special reiser4 syscall, so it might be possible, with a minimum of
changes to postgres (ie maybe just another sync mode besides fsync,
fdatasync et al) to use this. Other interesting details were exposed on
the reiser list, too (ie. a transactional filesystems can give ACID
guarantees to postgres without the need for fsync()).

Very interesting.