PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) and Windows 7 (x86-64) - Unable to install

From: "Dr(dot) Peter Voigt" <pvoigt(at)uos(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) and Windows 7 (x86-64) - Unable to install
Date: 2010-09-28 22:53:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I cannot install PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) under Windows 7 (x86-64). The
installer fails right after starting the installation process with the
message:

"An error occurred executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer".

I am using the installer from EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do. Installation file
is postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows_x64.exe.

Unfortunately there is no %TEMP%\install-postgresql.log.

When scanning the mailing lists under
http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/ and under
http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/show/9.page I can see that this
error has been described for several times with PostgreSQL 8.3 and 8.4
under different Windows variants. A common hint was to activate the
Windos Scripting Host (WSH) allthough it obviously does not help in
all cases. On my machine the WSH is activated and working.

Under
http://www.enterprisedb.com/learning/pginst_guide.do#troubleshooting
you can read about the command line options of the EnterpriseDB
PostgreSQL Installer. An attempt with "--install_runtimes 0" fails again
but with the different error message:

"Unknown error while running C:\Users\Administrator\Lokale
Einstellungen\postgres_installer\getlocales.exe"

Again there is no %TEMP%\install-postgresql.log.

As the second message is suggesting I am working as local
Administrator while installing PostgreSQL.

Maybe it is worth to be mentioned that I have installed Microsoft
Visual Studio 2008 Pro DE. Therefore the installation of the VC++
runtime should not be neccessary.

I am using now MySQL for serveral years and would like to compare it
with a current PostgreSQL version. The installation of PostgreSQL
under Windows is really disappointing but the same worked without
problems under Linux x86-64 (openSUSE 11.0). Under Linux I have used
the EnterpriseDB Installer of PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) as well. The
installation file is postgresql-9.0.0-1-linux-x64.bin.

Is this problem already known and is there a solution for it?