Re: Ingres to be released as open source

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ingres to be released as open source
Date: 2004-05-25 04:53:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Quoth chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au (Christopher Kings-Lynne):
>> Ingres is to be released as open source:
>>
>> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/25/0043219&mode=nested&tid=126&tid=137&tid=163&tid=185&tid=198
>
> Like the article says, I wonder if these is any synergy between the
> products. ie. Can we grab features from their codebase?

I would be quite surprised if that were permissible. CA is making up
"yet another open source license," and it seems really unlikely that
this would represent a thin enough rewriting of the BSD license to
allow inclusion in PostgreSQL.

Most new licenses seem to be intended to do something akin to what
MySQL does, with dual licenses; some "open source" license, for 'toy'
usage and to allow free publicity via inclusion with Linux
distributions, but a traditional proprietary license for anyone making
'serious' use of their product. It would be surprising for CA's
instance to turn out otherwise...
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html