Re: tweaking scan.l

From: Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
To: Ben Kim <bkim(at)coe(dot)tamu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tweaking scan.l
Date: 2004-03-30 21:33:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ben Kim <bkim(at)coe(dot)tamu(dot)edu> writes:

> Manuel Sugawara <masm ( at ) fciencias ( dot ) unam ( dot ) mx> wrote:
> >> Is there a way to completely turn off case sensitivity of the names
> >> of table, field, sequence, etc.?
> >No, i'm afraid not. But you can tweak scan.l to teach postgreSQL do
> >what you want.
>
> Many thanks. I want to ask a few questions, if you don't mind.

Ok, here is what I would do if I were facing your problem:

1.- Be sure that each identifier in the database catalogs doesn't
require the double quotes, for instance, for pg_class do something
like:

update pg_class set relname = lower(relname) where relname <> lower(relname);

Do the same for pg_namespace, pg_attribute, etc.

2.- Teach scan.l to treat "Identifier" just as identifier, the
following patch against 7.3 will do the work

Attachment Content-Type Size
scan.patch text/x-patch 907 bytes