Re: Prestige users

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prestige users
Date: 2004-05-05 15:28:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

The world rejoiced as bruce(at)centerstage(dot)com (Bruce) wrote:
> We've got a raging debate going on now on whether we should move from
> a Foxpro back end to either PostgreSQL or MySQL.
>
> It's an accounting application and I feel that Postgres would be the
> better choice. Some other people (like my boss) thinks that MySQL
> would be better choice. His reasoning is that MySQL gets more
> publicity so it must be better. He says that since the Sabre airline
> reservation system and Yahoo run with MySQL, they are the best. Period.

I have contacts at Sabre (used to work there, back when they were a
big company); they refuse to say a word about what MySQL is getting
used for.

Furthermore, there is NO reason to imagine that Sabre has migrated
from IMS to MySQL. That would be just plain silly. Their online
system, STIN, supports not merely tens of thousands but hundreds of
thousands of concurrent users; it's the sort of application that
_STILL_ involves the use of hand-written IBM 370 assembly code.

It seems most likely that MySQL would get used for second- and
third-tier applications such as in pricing applications. It surely
wouldn't be a "database of record," but rather would be used to make
cheap replicas used for analysis.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html