Re: Compliment from the Database Hacker's Handbook

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compliment from the Database Hacker's Handbook
Date: 2005-08-17 13:12:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> To quote:
>
> "By default, PostgreSQL is probably the most security-aware database
> available ..."
> Database Hacker's Handbook
> Lithcfield et. al.
> Wiley
> http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyAncillary/productCd-0764578014.html
>
> I'm gonna see if we can use the quote for our front page ...

Based on the sample chapter, the book looks pretty nifty, too.

I love their two suggestions near the end of that chapter:

1. Don't believe the documentation

In theory, the "non-marketing dependance" of PostgreSQL ought to
mean that the documentation is capable of being more honest, but
even so, it's an interesting approach ;-).

2. That security analysts implement their own client

The issue, which, to some degree, we see with psql, is that the
default clients somewhat "sanitize" requests. Sanity tends to be
a good thing, better than insanity :-), but it's hard to hit some
of the race conditions without the lack of sanitation...

I probably ought to do this some time; it would be a useful
learning experience...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/