Re: defaults referencing other columns?

From: James Cloos <cloos(at)jhcloos(dot)com>
To: "Jasbinder Bali" <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: defaults referencing other columns?
Date: 2006-09-11 03:04:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jasbinder> There is something called Rule on a table.
Jasbinder> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-createrule.html

It looks like I never replied to this. Apologies; I had meant to....

I had looked at rules -- in fact I'd read thru the whole pdf -- but
they didn't seem to fit.

It turned out that a before trigger did, however. From my first read
thru that section of the docs, I wasn't certain that a before trigger
would Do What I Wanted, but further read-throughs made it clear.

I must've been fatigued when I first read it.

Thanks for the reply.

Oh, and incidently, I took the project in question live tonight, so
all of the help was productive.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos(at)jhcloos(dot)com> OpenPGP: 0xED7DAEA6