Re: [HACKERS] (stupid) bug in agg_select_candidate

From: David Sauer <davids(at)iol(dot)cz>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] (stupid) bug in agg_select_candidate
Date: 1998-12-23 11:49:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I'm trying postgres 6.4.1 and I have problem with select command:
>> > create table t( text_column text );
>> > select sum( text_column ) from t;
>> This command makes no sense, but causes crash in backend:

Thomas> Thanks for finding this. It was in new code for automatic type matching
Thomas> and coersion on aggregate functions to help implement aggregates for the
Thomas> string types.

Thomas> I've enclosed a simple patch which fixes the problem, and which at the
Thomas> same time makes a nicer warning message as a result:

Thomas> postgres=> select sum(c) from cc;
Thomas> ERROR: Unable to select an aggregate function sum(bpchar)
Thomas> postgres=> select min(c) from cc;
Thomas> min
Thomas> ----------
Thomas> abc
Thomas> (1 row)

Thomas> Will commit to the cvs tree sometime soon; let me know if you have any
Thomas> continuing problems. Good luck.

Thanks, works fine.
Happy Xmas,
David

--
* David Sauer, student of Czech Technical University
* electronic mail: davids(at)iol(dot)cz (mime compatible)