Re: Python + PostgreSQL

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: Antonio Navarro Navarro <hostmaster(at)bemarnet(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python + PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-08-03 14:05:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thus spake Antonio Navarro Navarro
> I have installed postgresql-python-7.0.2-2.i386.rpm in a RedHat 6.2 box.
> Where can I find documentation for this module ? I'm trying to connect to a
> server but the python says 'no password supplied'
>
> import pg
>
> dg = pg.connect("template1", "localhost", 5432)

If the server requires a password then you need to supply one here. If
you don't need a password (i.e. "psql template1" works) then try this.

import pg
dg = pg.DB("template1")

Note DB is preferred over connect but the main change is not to use localhost
to connect. The default is to use a Unix socket rather than TCP/IP to
localhost and PostgreSQL treats that differently. If localhost was just
used here for illustrative purposes and in fact you are connecting over
TCP/IP to another machine then look at pg_hba.conf to adjust permissions
or add a password to the connection call.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves