Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd trigger does not work very well

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd trigger does not work very well
Date: 2000-02-28 08:13:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> > I consider it a hack, since this particular trigger needs a
> > global flag known explicitly by xact routines. I like general
> > solutions instead.
>
> Well, really it's pg_pwd itself that is a hack --- we wouldn't need
> to be worrying about all this if pg_pwd didn't exist outside the
> database/transaction universe. But I don't think it'd be wise to
> try to bring the postmaster into that universe, so we're stuck with
> a hack for exporting user authorization info.
>
> If we had examples of other problems that could be solved by such
> a mechanism, then I'd agree with Jan that we ought to invent a general
> after-commit-do mechanism. But I don't recall users clamoring for it,
> so I question whether the extra effort is worthwhile.

Exactly these days there was someone having trouble to
dynamically load the tclLDAP package into PL/Tcl. He wanted
to UPDATE his LDAP from inside a trigger.

If he hasn't had this loading problem, I'd never known. So I
assume there are already constructs like this out there.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #