Little parser question

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL HACKERS)
Subject: Little parser question
Date: 1998-09-28 16:56:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

while fixing the subselect parseback in the new ruleutil
functions and checking if the output is now what's needed for
dumping rules/views I came across a little detail in the
parser I'm confused about.

Having a table

CREATE TABLE t1 (a char(20));

the two statements

INSERT INTO t1 VALUES ('x');

INSERT INTO t1 VALUES ('x'::bpchar);

produce mainly the same parsetree (where the const value 'x'
of type 1042 is embedded into a call to bpchar(bpchar, int4)
for the padding).

But in the first case argument 1 is constbyval TRUE and in
the second one FALSE (where I feel the second one is right
for a bpchar const). Seems that it doesn't matter later.

The ruleutil functions output the typecasting any time and
this little detail makes it harder for me to check if their
output really recreates all the rules as the original CREATE
statements did.

The output from the ruleutil functions can differ in many
cases from the original CREATE commands (for 'AS funcname'
where no one was given and in the subselects area where 'attr
in (val, val, ...)' will be explicit OR list, 'attr IN
(SELECT ...' will be output as 'attr = ANY (SELECT ...' and
so on). But the resulting rules will be the same AFAIK.

For checking the output to be O.K. I took all the pg_rewrite
content from a regression database (plus some more views with
subselects etc.) into a temp file, dropped all rules and
recreated them from what pg_rules printed. Then I took again
all the pg_rewrite content and expected the same (and got it
except for the constbyval diffs).

I'll send in the fixes for ruleutils soon.

If someone likes to add dumping rules/views to pg_dump, some
little background details:

Views could be nested (one view selects another view). So
restoring by CREATE VIEW depends on the correct order.

But a view could also be recreated by a CREATE TABLE,
CREATE RULE, UPDATE pg_rewrite sequence. This time, if
all the CREATE TABLE statements are made first and the
CREATE RULE ones later, they don't depend on each other
any more.

The view pg_rules will (as mentioned by Keith) not
include view rules any longer. So pg_dump should use
function pg_get_ruledef() directly on pg_rewrite to get
all the rules definitions.

To reconstruct anything correct it must be executed in
the following order:

Step 1: Create all tables and views as regular tables.

Step 2: Insert all data (where tables that have an
INSTEAD rule on SELECT named _RET<tablename> receive no
data at all).

Step 3: Create all rules (except the ones named _RETpg_*
from system views) and rename the remaining _RET* ones
from _ret* to _RET* (CREATE RULE converts the rulename to
lower case - that's why the UPDATE pg_rewrite is
required).

Inserting the data before recreating the rules is necessary
because rules could fire more actions on insert, and that
isn't wanted at reload time.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #