Re: [HACKERS] Re: PL/PgSQL discussion

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: hannu(at)trust(dot)ee (Hannu Krosing)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PL/PgSQL discussion
Date: 1998-03-16 07:28:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing wrote:

> And another thing:
>
> Does'nt the Oracle PL/SQL have both input and input/output parameters ?
>
> It's more than a year since i last used it but I think that this is the case.

Right, they have. But PostgreSQL doesn't and so PL/pgSQL
can't. PL/pgSQL cannot do any thing that a C function in
PostgreSQL cannot do. The PL handler is written in C and that
is what the executor calls instead of the compiled function.
From the backends point of view, a PL handler is just one C
function with a bunch of personalities.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #