Re: [INTERFACES] Using Postgres's NOTIFY/LISTEN

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Using Postgres's NOTIFY/LISTEN
Date: 1998-12-06 13:35:02
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
At 20:49 +0200 on 2/12/98, Peter T Mount wrote:

> The 1.1 AWT uses a listener model for it's events. I was thinking of
> creating an Interface that defines a method that is called when a notify
> occurs. Then, the client can create a class that implements this
> Interface, and simply calls an addListener() method in the driver. Then,
> any notify's received will cause the listener to be called.

Hmm, wouldn't using the AWT cause the driver to attempt to initialize the X
windows or something? I know some servlet implementations (Netscape's, for
one) do not support any AWT calls, assuming that when you work through the
web, you don't have an X server, which is true.

Can't it be done with threads, Object.notify() etc.?

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma