ODBC on unix?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC on unix?
Date: 1998-07-01 12:03:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Can someone clear something up for me?

I was under the impression that ODBC is entirely a Windows proprietary
thing. But now that I am reviewing all sorts of RADs for the web, they all
seem to insist that their Solaris versions (I use Solaris) can access all
databases through ODBC.

Does this mean that there's actually an ODBC mechanism/framework for unix?

The question that follows is - is PostgreSQL's ODBC driver, which, as I
understand, is Win32 based - supposed to work in such an environment? Or is
it too much to hope for?

It would enable me to use things like ColdFusion and LiveWire. Very useful.
I hate reinventing the wheel, and Java-based Web-RADs don't seem to exist.
Or am I wrong in this, too?

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.