Re: Installation problem with RC2

From: Gino Lucrezi <gino-pgadmin(at)lucrezi(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation problem with RC2
Date: 2004-12-01 14:43:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:40:32 -0000, dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk ("Dave
Page") wrote:

>Complex answer:
First of all, I tried to remove all installations from the control
panel.

> Install the Microsoft Installer SDK from microsoft.com.

Done. I found version 1.1 on the microsoft site... even though it's
quite old.

> Use the msispy program to check for pgAdmin MSI installations.

It didn't show anything.
So I reinstalled from the msi, and now it showed.
If I selected the "diagnostic mode" of msispy it showed that three
files didn't record as being correctly installed (I found them by
using the verify files button in the properties). It said "some files
modified or missing" for each of these three files:

libintl-2.dll
filesize=32256
md5=4A8C80797E3D34EC6F8D284418F13870
time stamp: april 27, 2004 8:45:24

libiconv-2.dll
filesize=916849
md5=3F9709EE6259FB35220A417504A1DC9F
time stamp: january 31, 2003 17:41:30

pg_restore.exe
filesize=185274
md5=9E7B182A0FDC50C510AA7958EB126F92
time stamp: november 4, 2004 9:34:44

(internally it identifies as 8.0.0beta4)

File size and all other information comes from the actual files on my
hard disk. So it seems I have the right files...

If I try to reinstall individually each of these files from msispy
(while in the "view installed producs" mode), it tries to pull them
from the MS Office 2000 cd! Except, of course, that it isn't in the
drive ;-)

If I try after using "view Windows Installer Package" and opening
pgadmin3.msi, it gets the files from the correct source, installs
them, and then nothing changes.

Anyway, whenever I start PGadmin III RC2, it says it is completing the
installation.

I couldn't find any of the guids of these three files in my registry!

> Use msizap to kill *all* those entries using the guid(s) found
> in msispy. Then reinstall pgAdmin.

After doing a clean uninstall there wasn't anything left for msizap to
kill.

Anyway, after writing this, I installed the release version, and it is
working correctly.