Re: testing hot standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: testing hot standby
Date: 2010-04-13 01:32:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Jaime Casanova
<jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec> wrote:
>> 1. start the primary
>> 2. pg_start_backup()
>> 3. copy $PGDATA from the primary to the standby
>> 4. pg_stop_backup();
>> 5. create the recovery.conf and start the standby
>
> execute some WAL-logged action (i've seen this happen even with no
> WAL-logged action if i wait for a while before shutdown servers)
>
>> 6. shutdown (smart mode) the standby
>
> shutdown (smart) the primary
> start the primary again
>
>> 7. start the standby again
>>   --> cannot accept connnections until new WAL has been created

I was not able to reproduce the problem using the above scenario.
But when I did one more restart of the primary and standby, I was
able to observe the problem. If this is the same as you encountered,
it would be the "can't start hot standby from a shutdown checkpoint"
issue that Heikki pointed out. So it's very helpful to check whether
the posted patch fixes your problem or not.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-04/msg00407.php

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao