Re: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu - Have a couple of questions

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu - Have a couple of questions
Date: 2009-07-30 10:50:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2009-07-28, Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> --001636c5a2d8cdcb9c046fc47cee
>
> Hi,
> I have been running PostgreSQL 8.3 for a while now and was installed through
> the standard Windows installer and everything has been working great :)
>
> I am in the process of switching to Ubuntu, and I have a couple of question
> to get started. I installed pgadmin and postgre through the Synaptic Package
> Manager. I am unfamiliar with the console so I prefer to use pgAdmin to set
> things up.

One nice thing about the console is you can cut and paste to it,
Gui instructions tend to involve lots of reading descriptions fine
motor skills and and squinting at pictures.

> Opening pgAdmin I see Servers(0) .. I am trying to add a server and filled
> out things to match the windows properties but can't get it to work.
> On the Service part, windows says postgresql-8.3 but on Ubuntu it is empty.
> I tried to put the same thing there as well, but also with no success. I am
> guessing I need to do something before that.. the ideas is that I will
> create a DB later and use my windows backup and restore.

Postgres ships in most distributions with external network connections
turned off. one option is to install pgadmin on the ubuntu machine also.

The other is to turn on the networking, you probably only want to
enable (part of) your LAN.