Re: trouble connecting

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble connecting
Date: 2009-07-20 18:25:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

tgs wrote on 20.07.2009 19:38:
> I did a complete uninstall of postgres 8.4, removed the user, cleaned
> registry entries, deleted folders, etc, then reinstalled (for the third
> time). I am now having an additional problem - when I start the postgres
> service I get the message "server started and stopped'. I had this problem
> after the initial installation but it seemed to go away for a few days. The
> log entries look the same as in my first email. There is a bug report in
> the bugs mailing list with this symptom (#4175) from 2008, but I find no

As you talk about a "service" and the registry I assume you are using Windows.

Most probably the access rights on the data dir are not correct. Unfortunately
the installer puts the datadir by default into "c:\Program Files" which is a bad
choice. Not only because application data should not go there but additionally
because regular users do not have write access to that directory and the
installer does not always set the permissions correctly.

Make sure that the permissions on the data directory do allow the postgres
service account to write there.

Thomas