Re: pg_transaction_status() unreliable?!

From: ljb <ljb1813(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_transaction_status() unreliable?!
Date: 2009-05-05 01:20:32
Lists: pgsql-php

wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com wrote:

> Not that it says anything about PQtransactionStatus being affected by
> the use of it. If I read this literally, PQgetResult could return a
> result set that is incomplete, which begs the question: how do I merge
> the remaining part of the result set when I get it back next time?
>
> Of course, that's not the intended usage, which leads me to wonder
> what's going on when I know factually that I have no more query
> results pending, yet I have to call it again (apparently) to update
> the client's internal status data structures.

Actually pg_transaction_status doesn't talk to the server at all. The
information it needs is available at the client side. What is happening is
that you are calling pg_transaction_status before you and the server have
finished discussing the COMMIT (meaning, you haven't called pg_get_result
enough to finish the protocol). So the client side hasn't been told that the
transaction is over.