Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Finnerty, Jim" <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>, "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date: 2022-11-11 14:57:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22.10.22 03:22, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I'd love to hear others' thoughts on how we can turn this into a
> workable solution. Hopefully while staying simple...

I played with this patch a bit. It looks like a reasonable approach.

Attached is a small patch to get the dynamic libicu* lookup working with
the library naming on macOS.

Instead of packing the ICU version into the locale field ('63:en'), I
would make it a separate field in pg_collation and a separate argument
in CREATE COLLATION.

At this point, perhaps it would be good to start building some tests to
demonstrate various upgrade scenarios and to ensure portability.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-fixup-WIP-Multi-version-ICU.patch text/plain 1.2 KB