Re: Autovacuum & Table List Ordering

From: "Usama Dar" <munir(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers list" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum & Table List Ordering
Date: 2008-01-03 15:27:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 3, 2008 7:39 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Sure, feel free to propose a specific ordering. I think you would need
> to take table size into account too.

Thanks, i thought we were already taking the database size into account
somewhat when we calculate the vacuum threshold by factoring in reltuples.
My initial thought is that we already decide to vacuum a table if (vactuples
> vacthresh). if we order the list by vacpriority where

vacpriority=vactuples - vacthresh

it would be reasonable start, without being too complicated , thoughts?

> Something that's also important to fix while you're doing that is fixing
> the "BUG" that is mentioned in the code that Simon griped about not long
> ago.

OK, i will look what that is

> --
> Alvaro Herrera