Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

From: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ranier Vilela <ranier_gyn(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars
Date: 2019-12-09 04:50:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/8/19 10:25 AM, Mark Dilger wrote:
> I was
> still expecting multiple patches, perhaps named along the
> lines of:
>
>   unshadow.RedoRecPtr.patch.1
>   unshadow.wal_segment_size.patch.1
>   unshadow.synchronous_commit.patch.1
>   unshadow.wrconn.patch.1
>   unshadow.progname.patch.1
>   unshadow.am_syslogger.patch.1
>   unshadow.days.patch.1
>   unshadow.months.patch.1
>
> etc.  I'm uncomfortable giving you negative feedback of this
> sort, since I think you are working hard to improve postgres
> and I really appreciate it, so later tonight I'll try to come
> back, split your patch for you as described, add an entry to
> the commitfest if you haven't already, and mark myself as a
> reviewer.

To start off, I've taken just six of the 22 or so variables
that you renamed and created patches for them. I'm not
endorsing these in any way. I chose these mostly based on
which ones showed up first in your patch file, with one
exception.

I stopped when I got to 'progname' => 'prog_name' as the
whole exercise was getting too absurd even for me. That
clearly looks like one where the structure of the code
needs to be reconsidered, rather than just renaming stuff.

I'll create the commitfest entry based on this email once
this has been sent.

Patches attached.

--
Mark Dilger

Attachment Content-Type Size
unshadow.checkPoint.patch.1 text/plain 748 bytes
unshadow.connection.patch.1 text/plain 2.1 KB
unshadow.RedoRecPtr.patch.1 text/plain 3.5 KB
unshadow.synchronous_commit.patch.1 text/plain 3.8 KB
unshadow.wal_segment_size.patch.1 text/plain 1.4 KB
unshadow.wrconn.patch.1 text/plain 3.7 KB