Idle transactions

From: Mateus Interciso <p(dot)zarnick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Idle transactions
Date: 2007-09-11 11:15:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello, it's been a while that I'm seeing that our servers running JBoss
with PostgreSQL, after some hours of work, have at least 70 or more
"<IDLE> in transaction" status for transactions, and this is bogging down
our servers.
Is this normal behaviour? If not, is there anything I can do to prevent
it? Why is it happening? What's a transaction that is "<IDLE> in
transaction" actually really means?

Thanks a lot.

Mateus.