Re: pg_dump / copy bugs with "big lines" ?

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Tomas Vondra" <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,"Jim Nasby" <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>,"Ronan Dunklau" <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)dalibo(dot)com>,"pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump / copy bugs with "big lines" ?
Date: 2016-09-30 13:12:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra wrote:

> A few minor comments regarding the patch:
>
> 1) CopyStartSend seems pretty pointless - It only has one function call
> in it, and is called on exactly one place (and all other places simply
> call allowLongStringInfo directly). I'd get rid of this function and
> replace the call in CopyOneRowTo(() with allowLongStringInfo().
>
> 2) allowlong seems awkward, allowLong or allow_long would be better
>
> 3) Why does resetStringInfo reset the allowLong flag? Are there any
> cases when we want/need to forget the flag value? I don't think so, so
> let's simply not reset it and get rid of the allowLongStringInfo()
> calls. Maybe it'd be better to invent a new makeLongStringInfo() method
> instead, which would make it clear that the flag value is permanent.
>
> 4) HandleParallelMessage needs a tweak, as it uses msg->len in a log
> message, but with '%d' and not '%ld' (as needed after changing the type
> to Size).
>
> 5) The comment at allowLongStringInfo talks about allocLongStringInfo
> (i.e. wrong function name).

Here's an updated patch. Compared to the previous version:

- removed CopyStartSend (per comment #1 in review)

- renamed flag to allow_long (comment #2)

- resetStringInfo no longer resets the flag (comment #3).

- allowLongStringInfo() is removed (comment #3 and #5),
makeLongStringInfo() and initLongStringInfo() are provided
instead, as alternatives to makeStringInfo() and initStringInfo().

- StringInfoData.len is back to int type, 2GB max.
(addresses comment #4 incidentally).
This is safer because many routines peeking
into StringInfoData use int for offsets into the buffer,
for instance most of the stuff in backend/libpq/pqformat.c
Altough these routines are not supposed to be called on long
buffers, this assertion was not enforced in the code, and
with a 64-bit length effectively over 2GB, they would misbehave
pretty badly.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité

Attachment Content-Type Size
huge-stringinfo-v3.patch text/plain 6.7 KB