RE: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist

From: "Tang, Haiying" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)cn(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Jamison, Kirk" <k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: 'Amit Kapila' <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist
Date: 2020-12-18 07:45:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Kirk,

I noticed you have pushed a new version for your patch which has some changes on TRUNCATE on TOAST relation.
Although you've done performance test for your changed part. I'd like to do a double check for your patch(hope you don't mind).
Below is the updated recovery performance test results for your new patch. All seems good.

*TOAST relation with PLAIN strategy like integer :
1. Recovery after VACUUM test results(average of 15 times)
shared_buffers master(sec) patched(sec) %reg=((patched-master)/patched)
128M 2.111 1.604 -24%
10G 57.135 1.878 -97%
20G 167.122 1.932 -99%

2. Recovery after TRUNCATE test results(average of 15 times)
shared_buffers master(sec) patched(sec) %reg=((patched-master)/patched)
128M 2.326 1.718 -26%
10G 82.397 1.738 -98%
20G 169.275 1.718 -99%

*TOAST relation with NON-PLAIN strategy like text/varchar:
1. Recovery after VACUUM test results(average of 15 times)
shared_buffers master(sec) patched(sec) %reg=((patched-master)/patched)
128M 3.174 2.493 -21%
10G 72.716 2.246 -97%
20G 163.660 2.474 -98%

2. Recovery after TRUNCATE test results(average of 15 times): Although it looks like there are some improvements after patch applied. I think that's because of the average calculation. TRUNCATE results should be similar between master and patched because they all do full scan.
shared_buffers master(sec) patched(sec) %reg=((patched-master)/patched)
128M 4.978 4.958 0%
10G 97.048 88.751 -9%
20G 183.230 173.226 -5%

[Machine spec]
CPU : 40 processors (Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4210 CPU @ 2.20GHz)
Memory: 128G
OS: CentOS 8

[Failover test data]
Total table Size: 600M
Table: 10000 tables (1000 rows per table)

[Configure in postgresql.conf]
autovacuum = off
wal_level = replica
max_wal_senders = 5
max_locks_per_transaction = 10000

If you have any questions on my test results, please let me know.

Regards
Tang