Re: low memory usage reported by 'top' indicates poor tuning?

From: Mark Stosberg <mark(at)summersault(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: low memory usage reported by 'top' indicates poor tuning?
Date: 2007-02-26 17:26:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Mark Stosberg wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to make sense of the memory usage reported by 'top', compared
>> to what "pg_database_size" shows. Here's one result:'
>

> You are missing the most important parts of the equation:

Thanks for your patience, Joshua. I'm new at performance tuning.

> 1. What version of PostgreSQL.

Now, 8.1. We are evaluating 8.2 currently and could potentially upgrade
soon.

> 2. What operating system -- scratch , I see freebsd

> 3. How big is your pg_dump in comparison to the pg_database_size()

Using the compressed, custom format: 360M. It was recently 1.2G
due to logging tables that were pruned recently. These tables are
only inserted into and are not otherwise accessed by the application.

> 4. What type of raid do you have?

RAID-1.

> 5. What is your work_mem set to?

1024 (left at the default)

> 6. What about effective_cache_size?

1000 (default)

For any other settings, it's probably the defaults, too.

> 7. Do you analyze? How often?

Once, nightly. I'm currently learning and experience with autovacuuming
to see if there is a more optimal arrangement of autovacuuming + nightly
cron vacuuming.

A test on Friday was failure: Autovacuuming brought the application to a
crawl, and with 8.1, I couldn't see what table it was stuck on. I had
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay set to "10".

Thanks again for your experienced help.

Mark