Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial
Date: 2020-09-11 07:49:23
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 10.09.20 18:26, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2020-09-02 09:04, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
>> On 01.09.20 23:30, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> It is mostly advanced low-level information that is irrelevant for
>>> someone starting up,
>> That applies only to the VACUUM chapter. VACUUM and AUTOVACUUM are
>> controlled by a lot of parameters. Therefor the current documentation
>> concerning the two mechanism spreads the description across different
>> pages (20.4, 25.1, VACUUM command). Because of the structure of our
>> documentation that's ok. But we should have a summary page somewhere -
>> not necessarily in the tutorial.
>
> There is probably room for improvement, but the section numbers you
> mention are not about VACUUM, AFAICT, so I can't really comment on
> what you have in mind.

Because of the additional chapter for the 'tutorial' on my local
computer, the numbers increased for me. The regular chapter numbers are
19.4 and 24.1. Sorry for the confusion. In detail:

19.4: parameters to configure the server, especially five parameters
'vacuum_cost_xxx'.

19.10: parameters to configure autovacuum.

19.11: parameters to configure client connections, especially five
parameters 'vacuum_xxx' concerning their freeze-behavior.

24.1: explains the general necessity of (auto)vacuum and their strategies.

The page about the SQL command VACUUM explains the different options
(FULL, FREEZE, ..) and their meaning.

--

Jürgen Purtz