drop postmaster symlink

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: drop postmaster symlink
Date: 2022-11-23 07:52:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A little while ago we discussed briefly over in the meson thread whether
we could remove the postmaster symlink [0]. The meson build system
currently does not install a postmaster symlink. (AFAICT, the MSVC
build system does not either.) So if we want to elevate the meson build
system, we either need to add the postmaster symlink, or remove it from
the other build system(s) as well. Seeing that it's been deprecated for
a long time, I propose we just remove it. See attached patches.

[0]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/bfdf03c8-c24f-c5b1-474e-4c9a96210f46@enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Remove-gratuitous-references-to-postmaster-instead-o.patch text/plain 2.1 KB
0002-Don-t-install-postmaster-symlink-anymore.patch text/plain 3.0 KB