Re: libpq compression

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Denis Smirnov <sd(at)arenadata(dot)io>, Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru>, Daniil Zakhlystov <usernamedt(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq compression
Date: 2021-01-11 17:38:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/11/21 2:53 PM, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> New version of libpq compression patch is attached.
> It can be also be found at git(at)github(dot)com:postgrespro/libpq_compression.git

Seems it bit-rotted already, so here's a slightly fixed version.

1) Fixes the MSVC makefile. The list of files is sorted alphabetically,
so I've added the file at the end.

2) Fixes duplicate OID. It's a good practice to assign OIDs from the end
of the range, to prevent collisions during development.

Other than that, I wonder what's the easiest way to run all tests with
compression enabled. ISTM it'd be nice to add pg_regress option forcing
a particular compression algorithm to be used, or something similar. I'd
like a convenient way to pass this through a valgrind, for example. Or
how do we get this tested on a buildfarm?

I'm not convinced it's very user-friendly to not have a psql option
enabling compression. It's true it can be enabled in a connection
string, but I doubt many people will notice that.

The sgml docs need a bit more love / formatting. The lines in libpq.sgml
are far too long, and there are no tags whatsoever. Presumably zlib/zstd
should be marked as <literal>, and so on.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
libpq-compression-30.patch text/x-patch 80.6 KB