Re: [pgsql-advocacy] National community sites @ postgresql.org?

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] National community sites @ postgresql.org?
Date: 2008-05-11 16:48:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
> - --On Thursday, May 08, 2008 09:07:18 +0100 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> > Besides, we agreed long ago that <country code>.postgresql.org
> > hostnames were strictly reserved for mirror use.
>
> Good point ... so we'll need to come up with a similar naming convention to the
> pugs themselves ...
>
> But, to your point about 'more then one group', I though we were talking about
> national communities (ie. umbrellas), not individual user groups?
>
> For instance, with Italy, there would obviously be a link to the seperate user
> groups expected off of the site ...

In our -- Russian -- case we are talking about national community that
are being set up currently involving [supposedly] all Russian
PostgreSQL experts, including Oleg and Teodor and others. So, it's
really about community.

So, is it possible to handle the-most-straightforward name
ru.postgresql.org for HTTP requests separately from FTP ones?

Since there is a consistent objection to the idea of uniform
infrastructure, I think we'll better continue with our own stuff :-)
Most probably It will be at http://pgsql.ru soon.

BTW, I suspect that uniform infrastructure for national communities
will help spread idea of weekly news translation (now it's not only
decentralized but also is somewhat obscure -- it's not clear how to
quickly find, say, German translation, and moreover Russian one).

--
Best regards,
Nikolay