Re: Read/Write block sizes

From: Jignesh Shah <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Lance Obermeyer <LObermey(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Read/Write block sizes
Date: 2005-08-24 20:20:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

Agreed!!!

But the knowledge to Auto-tune your application comes from years of understanding of how users are using the so-called "knobs".. But if the "knobs" are not there in the first place.. how do you know what people are using?

The "so-called" big boys are also using their knowledge base of what works for the customer in their autonomic self healers and its based on the experience of all the settings possible and based on service requests on what had failed that they get the knowledge about avoiding what fails and tuning what works.

Remember "recompiling" is a risk with upteem number of variables which not every production release engineer is happy about.

Its easy to change back the knob to the previous value rather than trying to figure out how do I get my old binaries back.

-Jignesh