session username in default psql prompt?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: session username in default psql prompt?
Date: 2023-05-27 12:52:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I don't recall if this has come up before.

I'm sometimes mildly annoyed when I get on a new system and find the
username missing in my psql prompt. Or if a customer shows me a screen
and I have to ask "which user is this". If we're dealing with several
roles it can get confusing. My usual .psqlrc has

   \set PROMPT1 '%n(at)%~%R%x%# '

So my suggestion is that we prepend '%n@' to the default psql PROMPT1
(and maybe PROMPT2).

I realize it's not exactly earth-shattering, but I think it's a bit more
user-friendly.

(Would be a good beginner project, the code change would be tiny but
there are lots of docs / examples that we might want to change if we did
it.)

cheers

andrew

--