Re: partition tree inspection functions

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: partition tree inspection functions
Date: 2018-07-19 08:39:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for the review, Jesper.

On 2018/07/18 23:35, Jesper Pedersen wrote:
> On 06/28/2018 01:49 AM, Amit Langote wrote:
>> OK, I've added an example below the table of functions added by the patch.
>>
>> Attached updated patch.
>>

> You forgot to remove the test output in create_table.out, so check-world
> is failing.

Oops, I'd noticed that but forgotten to post an updated patch.

Fixed.

> In pg_partition_parent
>
> +    else
> +    /* Not a partition, return NULL. */
> +        PG_RETURN_NULL();
>
> I would just remove the "else" such that PG_RETURN_NULL() is fall-through.

OK, done.

> I think pg_partition_tree_tables should have an option to exclude the
> table that is being queried from the result (bool include_self).

Doesn't sound too bad, so added include_self.

> Maybe a function like pg_partition_number_of_partitions() could be of
> benefit to count the number of actual partitions in a tree. Especially
> useful in complex scenarios,
>
>  select pg_partition_number_of_partitions('p') as number;
>
>    number
>  ---------
>   4
>  (1 row)

Okay, adding one more function at this point may not be asking for too
much. Although, select count(*) from pg_partition_tree_tables('p') would
give you the count, a special function seems nice.

> New status: WfA

Attached updated patch.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Add-assorted-partition-reporting-functions.patch text/plain 18.4 KB