Re: dropping partitioned tables without CASCADE

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dropping partitioned tables without CASCADE
Date: 2017-02-27 02:38:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017/02/26 5:30, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 23 February 2017 at 16:33, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I'll be happy to review
>
> Patch looks OK so far, but fails on a partition that has partitions,
> probably because of the way we test relkind in the call to
> StoreCatalogInheritance1().

Thanks for the review.

I could not reproduce the failure you are seeing; could you perhaps share
the failing test case? Here's mine that seems to work as expected:

create table p (a int, b char) partition by list (a);
create table p1 (a int, b char) partition by list (b);
alter table p attach partition p1 for values in (1);

-- add a partition to p1
create table p1a (like p1);
alter table p1 attach partition p1a for values in ('a');

create table p2 partition of p for values in (1)

\d+ p
<snip>
Partition key: LIST (a)
Partitions: p1 FOR VALUES IN (1),
p2 FOR VALUES IN (2)

-- this works (remember that p1 is a partitioned table)
drop table p1;
DROP TABLE

\d+ p
<snip>
Partition key: LIST (a)
Partitions: p2 FOR VALUES IN (2)

> Please add a test for that so we can check automatically.

OK, done.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Allow-dropping-partitioned-table-without-CASCADE.patch text/x-diff 15.2 KB