SQL query timing question

From: Dave Lazar <hunkybill(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL query timing question
Date: 2005-06-02 19:00:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

I have a table with 10 rows, and about 50 columns. Not much need for
indexing. When I execute a select * command, it can take 18ms to run
the query, but 1300ms for the data retrieval time for example...

What controls this data retrieval timing? It seems like my query
executes fast, but the bottleneck is this value?? Is there something
in postgresql.conf that needs tweaking. I have a RH box with a 17Ghz
P4 and 2 gigs RAM, and the bottleneck pgAdmin shows me appears to be
this data retrieval time.

Could someone more familiar with this please fill me in little. I
thought it was RAM or HD speed slowing some PHP scripts down with SQL
in them, but now, using just pgAdmin 1.2 to query the server directly
I see the problem may be postgres setup.

I realize that time may be the measure of the time it takes to
transfer the data from the server to the pgAdmin client... but it also
seems that the results are that slow being transferred from a request
originating with a PHP script running on the server and connecting via
ADOdb and localhost to the postmaster... what can be done to measure
and or speed the data retrieval times???

Thanks!!

Dave