Fastest char datatype

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fastest char datatype
Date: 2009-07-20 01:46:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

I'm storing a lot of words in a database. What's the fastest format for
finding them? I'm going to be doing a lot of WHERE w LIKE 'marsh%' and WHERE
w IN ('m', 'ma'). All characters are lowercase a-z, no punctuation, no
other alphabets. By default I'm using varchar in utf-8 encoding, but was
wondering if I could specificy something else (perhaps 7bit ascii, perhaps
lowercase only) that would speed things up even further.