Re: Windowing Function Patch Review -> NTH_VALUE

From: "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David Rowley" <dgrowley(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windowing Function Patch Review -> NTH_VALUE
Date: 2008-11-10 14:24:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2008/11/9 David Rowley <dgrowley(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> I'm having a little trouble understanding the standard for NTH_VALUE(). I
> would have assumed that NTH_VALUE(name,1) would return the first name in the
> window. The current patch is using 0 for the first.

Hmmm, good point... I haven't thought about it enough, just followed
the internal design. The window_seek() in nodeWindow.c, which is an
internal API, counts rows from 0 so the external behavior is simlar.
Nothing more :-P

Giving your comment, actually it seems to me strange that row_number()
returns 1 for the first row whereas the ntile(ve, 1) returns the
second. If there're no objections I will change it as you told.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada