Re: postgresql-odbc vs. unixODBC

To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql-odbc vs. unixODBC
Date: 2005-10-01 07:45:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

> does anybody know what the differences are between postgresql-odbc
> and unixODBC? because connection via postgresql-odbc work and
> via unixODBC fails!

you should check the driver versions. I think I remember seeing a post
that said that the postgreSQL unixODBC is an outdated version of the
postgreSQL ODBC driver that was included by the unixODBC team.

At any rate I'd always use the latest driver available directly from the
ODBC team here.

Hajo

> here some infos:
>
> my /etc/odbcinst.ini:
> ---------------------
> [PostgreSQL]
> Description = ODBC for PostgreSQL (postgresql-odbc)
> Driver = /usr/lib/psqlodbc.so
> FileUsage = 1
>
> [PostgreSQL2]
> Description = ODBC for PostgreSQL (unixODBC)
> Driver = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
> FileUsage = 1
>
> my /etc/odbc.ini:
> -----------------
> [DB1]
> Description = PostgreSQL
> Driver = PostgreSQL
> Database = DB1
> ServerName = localhost
> UserName = icp
> Port = 5432
>
> [DB2]
> Description = PostgreSQL
> Driver = PostgreSQL2
> Database = DB2
> ServerName = localhost
> UserName = icp
> Port = 5432
>
> my /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf:
> -----------------------------------
> local DB1 uid md5
> local DB2 uid md5
>
> isql DB1 uid pwd => work fine
> isql DB2 uid pwd => results in "[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect"
>
> any hints welcome!
>
> cheers, rainer

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Lit Window Library - Speed up GUI coding 10x
http://www.litwindow.com/library?src=ml

wxVisualSetup - integrate wxWidgets into Visual Studio .NET
http://www.litwindow.com/Products/products.html?src=ml

BugLister - Defect Tracker
http://www.litwindow.com/buglister?src=ml

Tips & Tricks for wxWidgets & MS Visual Studio
http://www.litwindow.com/Knowhow/knowhow.html?src=ml