2Q: Vacuuming and making queries case insensitive

From: "sdger erger" <killen(dot)nextdoor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 2Q: Vacuuming and making queries case insensitive
Date: 2008-01-28 01:07:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am using PostgreSQL through the command line. I have written a small
application that retrieves me information from a database. I have figured
most things I need to know out. But I have two questions I hope you guys can
help me with.

Is there any command line script that can make the database run faster? Like
vacuuming or something. I'm sorry to ask what is surly a very simple
question. But everything is hard to the very inexperienced.

I also wonder if it is possible to make command line searches case
insensitive? Like when I write WHERE name='PHIL' I want it to be the same as
WHERE name='phil'.

This things would be great if they are possible.

Thanks for taking your time to read my email through!
Best Redards,
S.E.