Re: Why is PGSQL better than MySQL

From: Neil Saunders <n(dot)j(dot)saunders(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Pedro B(dot)" <pedro(dot)borracha(at)netcabo(dot)pt>
Cc: John Mohr <jtmohr(at)healthconresources(dot)com>, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why is PGSQL better than MySQL
Date: 2005-12-13 10:13:45
Lists: pgsql-php

Agreed. You can't argue with a well executed benchmark. All I'd say is
be careful not just the same simple select statement over and over
again - Do a variety of both simple and complex queries. And always
use InnoDB as compared to MyISAM (otherwise you're not comparing
apples with apples). The biggest pro (imho) that PostgreSQL has over
MySQL is its locking mechanism. PostgreSQL uses MVCC, which greatly
improves concurrency.

For a list of "Gotchas" take a look at these:
http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html
http://sql-info.de/postgresql/postgres-gotchas.html

Also stumbled across this:
http://www.vitavoom.com/postgresql.html