Re: Object create date

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Fernando Hevia" <fhevia(at)ip-tel(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Object create date
Date: 2008-12-29 18:37:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)ip-tel(dot)com(dot)ar> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm having a hard time trying to find out if the latest patches have been
> applied to my application (uses lots of pgplsql functions).
> Does Postgres store creation date and/or modification date for tables,
> functions and other objects?
> It would help me a lot if I could query each object when it was created. Is
> this information available on 8.3? Where should I look?

PostreSQL doesn't track this kind of thing for you. An easy method to
implement yourself is to create a table to track such changes, and add
a line to insert data into that table.

create table change_track (version numeric(12,2) primary key, title
text, summary text);

Then in a script, always update like so:

begin;
insert into change_track(10.2, 'plpgsql - add / remove','New plpgsql
stored procedure to add and remove users. adduser(uid,''username''),
deluser(uid)');

create function....

commit;

That way, if some part of the update fails it all fails and you don't
have any of it in your db.

Then you can just check change_track to see what stuff is in your db.
Plus you can check the scripts into svn for management.