Re: Stable Release?

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Carol Walter" <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stable Release?
Date: 2008-02-21 21:21:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu> wrote:

> them, but I don't support our web server. The Unix Admin told me
> that he was going to put 8.1 on the new server, he is building
> because that's the latest stable version and besides he doesn't want
> to build a new postgres package there.

His laziness aside (the good kind) not wanting to build a package is
kind of a poor excuse. If you're running RHEL or Fedora, the PGDG
rpms should work fine. If you're running debian or ubuntu, then 8.2
is available for most of those versions. 8.2 is MUCH better than 8.1.
It has a couple of features that make it much nicer than 8.1 in
production.

> All of my machines that are
> running postgres have 8.2.4.

If you need to move data from there to production you're going to have
issues getting it from 8.2 and into 8.1. It is NOT your Unix SA's job
to decide which version of postgresql to support, it is you, the DBA
who should be deciding that. He should be supporting you in that
choice.

> I understood this to be a stable
> release and I've had no trouble with it. I was taken aback by this
> other information that my colleague had given me, hence the reason
> for my question.

I don't think he has any evidence to back up his claim. also, 8.2.4
is not the latest stable, 8.2.6 is. It's a good idea to keep up with
patch releases in pgsql.