Re: Postgresql takes more time to update

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Suresh Gupta VG" <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql takes more time to update
Date: 2007-10-23 20:47:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 10/23/07, Suresh Gupta VG <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>

> 1) We are using "psql 7.4.2" version of Postgresql, need to create a
> new schema similar to the current schema with all the objects as in the
> current schema. Do we have any command to support this operation?
>
> 2) We need to shift all the data between 2 different databases in 2
> different servers. What is the best way to go either backup or copy command?
>

> 3) Any equivalent command to export and import commands in
> Oracle/SQL.
>

> Can you please give some knowledge on this

1: Upgrade to 7.4.18 (or whatever the latest is) as soon as you can. Use
pg_dump with the -s switch to get just the schema and objects but no data
out. pg_dump --help will give you a list of all the options that command
has. To put your new schema into another database, just redirect that file
to psql:

pg_dump -s -h olddbserver olddbname > schemafile.sql
psql -h newserver newdbname < svhemafile.sql

2: pg_dump is the best way to go. pg_dumpall can dump everything, including
user accounts from one server. Then feed the output to psql or pg_restore.

3: pg_dump is export, psql or pg_restore are import