Re: Please help (backup)

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Anibal David Acosta" <aa(at)personal(dot)net(dot)py>
Cc: "Phillip Smith" <phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please help (backup)
Date: 2007-10-22 14:39:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 10/22/07, Anibal David Acosta <aa(at)personal(dot)net(dot)py> wrote:

> Really all file content after object definitions looks like
> "Encoded/Encrypted" and when I do a restore all table data are restored
> successfully (except one, that is in the "corrupted sector"). So, maybe the
> pg_dump do a encrypt or something like that over the DATA content.

No. What likely happened is that due to a bug in your OS or harddrive
controller, sectors from the middle of a binary (like an executable)
got put in place of some of your blocks in your postgresql backup.

You need to use a robust editor like vi to chop those parts out and
see what you get.

But the real answer is to use a known good backup.