Re: adding a user library path..

From: "P Kapat" <kap4lin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: adding a user library path..
Date: 2008-06-24 02:34:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thanks Tom,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "P Kapat" <kap4lin(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> If I understand correctly, the shared libraries for postgis should be
>> inside $PKGLIBDIR for the server to see them. Is there any userland
>> configuration (like adding $HOME/usr/local/lib to ~/.psqlrc) that will
>> solve this?
>
> Do you have superuser privs on the database? If so, you could try
> altering the SQL files for postgis etc to reference the shared libraries
> where you put them. But that likely won't work if SELinux is enabled
> on the system.

As it happens, I do have superuser privs on the database but (as it
also happens!) SELinux is enabled on this system.

> If you don't have superuser then you have no hope of installing these
> modules without admin intervention, because you can't execute the CREATE
> FUNCTION commands, independently of where the shlibs are.

Two questions in that case:
1. How should the admin go about adding $HOME/usr/local/lib to $PKGLIBDIR?
2. (this is extraneous to the current issue) How is ~/.psqlrc useful
to me? Links to any HOWTOS / Docs will be much appreciated.

> regards, tom lane

Regards,
--
Regards