Differentiate MERGE queries with different structures

From: bt22nakamorit <bt22nakamorit(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Differentiate MERGE queries with different structures
Date: 2022-09-26 06:12:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

pg_stat_statements module distinguishes queries with different
structures, but some visibly different MERGE queries were combined as
one pg_stat_statements entry.
For example,
MERGE INTO test1 USING test2 ON test1.id = test2.id WHEN MATCHED THEN
UPDATE var = 1;
MERGE INTO test1 USING test2 ON test1.id = test2.id WHEN MATCHED THEN
DELETE;
These two queries have different command types after WHEN (UPDATE and
DELETE), but they were regarded as one entry in pg_stat_statements.
I think that they should be sampled as distinct queries.

I attached a patch file that adds information about MERGE queries on the
documentation of pg_stat_statements, and lines of code that helps with
the calculation of queryid hash value to differentiate MERGE queries.
Any kind of feedback is appreciated.

Tatsu

Attachment Content-Type Size
merge_stat.patch text/x-diff 2.3 KB