java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.postgresql.copy.CopyManager.copyIn(Ljava/lang/String; Ljava/io/InputStream; )J

From: John Abraham <jabraham(at)ucalgary(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.postgresql.copy.CopyManager.copyIn(Ljava/lang/String; Ljava/io/InputStream; )J
Date: 2010-02-25 20:33:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hmm this is strange. I compile against postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc4.jar
and call the method copyIn

CopyManager copyManager = new CopyManager((BaseConnection)
conn);
FileInputStream devEventStream = new
FileInputStream(logFileNameAndPath);
copyManager.copyIn("copy development_events from stdin CSV
HEADER", devEventStream);

and it all compiles nicely, but when I try to run it I get

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.postgresql.copy.CopyManager.copyIn(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/io/
InputStream;)J

In my experience, usually a NoSuchMethodError means that I'm running
against a different .jar file then the one I compiled against. So I
ran it within eclipse, and got the same error.