Re: [HACKERS] user-defined numeric data types triggering ERROR: unsupported type

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] user-defined numeric data types triggering ERROR: unsupported type
Date: 2018-02-28 16:49:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, time to revive this old thread ...

On 09/23/2017 05:27 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> What about using two-pronged approach:
>
>> 1) fall back to mid bucket in back branches (9.3 - 10)
>> 2) do something smarter (along the lines you outlined) in PG11
>
> Sure. We need to test the fallback case anyway.

Attached is a minimal fix adding a flag to convert_numeric_to_scalar,
tracking when it fails because of unsupported data type. If any of the 3
calls (value + lo/hi boundaries) sets it to 'true' we simply fall back
to the default estimate (0.5) within the bucket.

>>> [ sketch of a more extensible design ]
>
>> Sounds reasonable to me, I guess - I can't really think about anything
>> simpler giving us the same flexibility.
>
> Actually, on further thought, that's still too simple. If you look
> at convert_string_to_scalar() you'll see it's examining all three
> values concurrently (the probe value, of one datatype, and two bin
> boundary values of possibly a different type). The reason is that
> it's stripping off whatever common prefix those strings have before
> trying to form a numeric equivalent. While certainly
> convert_string_to_scalar is pretty stupid in the face of non-ASCII
> sort orders, the prefix-stripping is something I really don't want
> to give up. So the design I sketched of considering each value
> totally independently isn't good enough.
>
> We could, perhaps, provide an API that lets an operator estimation
> function replace convert_to_scalar in toto, but that seems like
> you'd still end up duplicating code in many cases. Not sure about
> how to find a happy medium.

I plan to work on this improvement next, once I polish a couple of other
patches for the upcoming commit fest.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
minimal-fix-custom-numeric-types-v1.patch text/x-patch 2.2 KB